Saturday, November 06, 2010

barn chores & the state of my shoes

If you've never tried shoving a cow...well...it's kind of like shoving a wall. It doesn't move willingly.
Last weekend, I stayed with friends in rural NY. They have a cow barn, and I wanted to try doing some chores.
"What time do you start barn chores?" I asked Bobby on Friday night.
"We roll out of bed at 5, coffee's at 5:05, and chores start about 5:10. I'll wake you up!"
His older sister Kate, protested, "Don't listen to him! You don't have to feel obligated to help!" But I had made up my mind.
At 5:30 the next morning, I pulled on a barn outfit: a bandanna, jeans, and a long sleeved shirt under a cotton jumper. Someone found a pair of rubber boots for me, and I tromped off to the barn. It was still dark outside, and the stars were sparkling for miles...but the air was too chilly for me to spend much time in awe. I spent over an hour in the cozy barn, doing the 'small chores'--feeding the calves, refilling the grain tubs, giving the cows their grain, cleaning & disassembling the milking equipment, and letting the cows out.
The last job involved convincing the cows to leave the barn for the day. Kate and I hollered, smacked, and shoved the cows out the door. Allegedly, the cows don't feel a thing when you hit them, so don't worry about cruelty to animals. Finally, they were all out, and we went in to shower & change for breakfast.

On a mostly unrelated note,

I've often mentally bemoaned the sate of my shoes, wondering why mine never look as clean & tidy as everyone else's.
Today I realized the answer. I was walking back to my dormitory after having grabbed my camera to chase a gaggle of turkeys through the woods. Afterwords, my shoes were muddy around the toes, scratched at the heel, and soggy inside from landing in a puddle.
My problem is that I am impulsive! I don't take the time to change my shoes before riding my bicycle, jumping in leaf piles, building a reed hut in the swamp, racing someone, or chasing turkeys through the woods. Ergo, I am constantly repairing and cleaning them. Just think of the seconds of adventure I could waste by changing my shoes!
So, I have decided: I can either wear nice shoes and just not care about messing them up, or I can wear sneakers 24-7, which I choose not to do for silly aesthetic reasons. For now, I'd rather be ready for adventure no matter what I'm wearing. (Except barn chores)













3 comments:

Misusdee said...

I agree!
Being impulsive is not always a problem....sounds like you know how to live in the moment.That's something many people take years to learn.
Maybe those poor people with tidy shoes should be pitied?
Love you!K

Abigail said...

ha I love this! You're a brilliant writer Mer. I can see the world through your writing the way I can through your photography - in a completely unique and beautiful way that my less creative mind would completely miss out on if I didn't know you. :)

Bubble My Licorice said...

what a lovely post :)
It is just amazing!!

http://bubblemylicorice.blogspot.gr/